Friday, November 5, 2010

Davao is Freedom (for me at least!)

About 2 years ago, I visited Davao.  It was actually a business trip.  But hey, a trip is a trip right?  Plus, I'm a master of mixing business with pleasure ;)

So, I booked the earliest flight going to Davao City (from Manila), which is at about 4 in the morning!!!  LOL!  Yes, I was that determined to get there early so I can make this business trip a pleasure trip too, all rolled into one! :))

Their airport by the way is pretty new, so it's really nice, neat, and well-lit.  I took a cab from the airport going to Casa Leticia, where the office booked my 3D/2N stay.  The cab from airport to the city proper (where Casa Leticia is) costs about Php100.  (Just use this link to convert it to the currency of your choice ---> http://www.xe.com/ucc/)

Casa Leticia isn't your usual hotel.  It is more like an apartelle/inn of some sort.  The whole place is small, even their rooms.  But what's good about it is that the staffs are all warm, and their rooms and restrooms are neat too.  I never saw a single cockroach or any pests in the room I stayed in. 


Upon checking in, I decided to take a nap since I was up early for my flight going there.  The nap eventually became a 2 hour sleep!  Hahahaha!!!!  It's all good, it was still around 10am when I woke up.  Still have the rest of the day to wander the city :)

First stop was Crocodile Farm.  Hailed a cab outside Casa Leticia and asked the driver to take me there.  The driver was pretty nice and asked if it was my first time in Davao.  Normally, I would pretend that I'm a frequent visitor (for security purposes if you know what I mean), but since the driver wasn't creepy at all, add to that Davao is quite popular for it being a safe place - no pickpockets, no sex maniacs running around the city, disciplined people, no one dares to light a cigar while striding the streets of the metro - I honestly answered his question.  He then offered me a good bargain.  Php600 for half a day trip to wherever I want to.  He even said that I need not trouble thinking of the places I should go to, he'll be the one to show me which places I SHOULD visit.  It was a pretty good deal so he took me to The Crocodile Farm, Butterfly House, Gap Farm, and passed by Jack's Ridge as he drove me back to the hotel.


If I'm not mistaken, I paid Php80-100
to see the crocs & other creatures




They actually allow the snake to be wrapped around the visitors body! :)
Tribal home

To see these wonders, just pay Php50 entrance fee


Next day, since I was doing business the whole day, I just had dinner at this mediterranean pizza place to which I forgot the name!  Argh!  But I definitely remember the taste of their uber yummy stone-heated pizza! (wait, stone-heated or stone-cooked?!? whatever! LOL! you get my point right?)  After dinner, I headed out to get a drink somewhere in the city.  It wasn't a bar - bar you know.  It's more like a small alley in between 2 old apartments, where there are tables and chairs and a small garden at the farthest end.  Very cozy I must say.  Nice place to chill after a long day at work.




Open air resto and yet no mosquitoes, and not hot at all :)


Don Salvatore Pizza! Freshest toppings I've ever tasted! Gotta love the crust too!!!




I slept kind of late so I woke up a little late than I intended to.  I was thinking twice if I should squeeze in a trip to Eden Nature Park or not coz from what I've learned, it's a more than an almost 2-hour drive from the city.  Oh, and I had to consider that I need to be at the airport at 5pm coz my flight back to Manila is at 7pm.  It was almost lunch time so I decided to get some lunch first and decide after filling my tummy :)

Being the wanderlust that I am, I took the trip to Eden (even if it was already 12noon).  And boy I didn't regret taking that cab and paying the driver Php600 to drive me to Eden, and then back to the hotel.

View of Davao City from Eden Garden - So Romantic! Perfect Garden Wedding Place!










That's Davao City down there!
















MY FIRST TIME EVER!


FREEEEEDOOOOOM!!!!! WOOOOOH!!!!!
Oh, the entrance fee at Eden Garden was at Php385 at that time, including the Skyrider Ride!  Did I  mention that you get to ride the Skyrider twice?!  Perfect, huh?! :))  That's why I soooo love this place.  I feel totally free!  I can use my phone while walking down the streets of Davao without the anxiety that someone might just grab and steal my phone from me.  Oh, and their (in)famous DURIAN, it was my first time to actually taste one.  Never mind the pungent smell!  Just peel the fruit and have a taste!  It's delish, trust me! :)


Ahhhh... I miss Davao.  I actually miss travelling.  I haven't travelled in months!  I should schedule a trip soon.. I hope! :)

3 comments: